It’s been too long.

I seem to start new posts with that notion. This time it’s been work and courses. The longest I’ve have to sleep save one free weekend, was 5 hours. I’m tired from it… but loving it nonetheless.

A week in Singapore for a non- technical course whilst the world spun on it’s axis. It was great to meet others young Shell people out of Sarawak and getting better acquainted with my colleagues and as much as I was a critic of attending, I’ve got to say I had a great time. Met were like-minded people, those who were and are skeptics of the institution but willing enough to shoot ideas out.

Perhaps, it was fun as work took a backseat (in the form of calls to the office during breaks and responding to e-mails in the wee hours of the morning). Early morning trips out to Clark Quay and different clubs, with input from our very own Singaporeans. How about that, not too shabby then eh?

However, there are always things one doesn’t always agree with, and in fantastic environment, one felt safe to agree to disagree. Ideas abound (probably driven by an overdose of caffeine and the lack of sleep)

Oh joy…

-Of handbags and shopping-

It seems like it’s mandatory to tote either an (breath in) Louis Vuitton, Prada, Gucci, CK, Aigner, Fendi, Salvatore or bag in Singapore. I don’t believe I’ve seen a lady without one of the above hanging off her hands or shoulders.

Amusement came in a changing room (girl followed guy in) when I overheard a discussion

Boy (B): Darling-ah, what do you want for your birthday ah?
Girl (G): Told you already mah, that CK bag, the one with the (this was where I tried the pair of trousers and barely made it)
B: That one ah? Thought you wanted the one we saw the other day ah
G: No lah, that one looks too teenager, this one more mature loh
B: Mm… tomorrow we go buy, ok








Perils of the single traveler

As I write this, I’ve just made back-to-back trips with only 7 hours in between each.

As a single traveler with work as the purpose, it’s inevitable being asked at restaurants if you’re eating alone with a slightly “oh poor you” tone or constantly being asked in public transports if one requires “company” for the night.

Staying at a hotel in the city for the convenience of meetings and traveling, it’s also inevitable to be asked “So, where are you from?” or (I have reason to believe that it’s the accent) “Are you from Singapore-ah?” (no, I never claimed to sound like a Singaporean). Imagine the shock on the poor man/ lady’s face when I said I’m from KL, which then automatically leads on to “Why you not staying at home? Cest la vie…

Solace comes in the form of coffee joints and whilst this time I’ve been fortunate to have fantastic company every night I’m in KL (no… not THAT kind of company). I do wonder if other solo travelers get this as well.

Cheerio!


-I feel upset as a mother and a toddler has to stand whilst a 20 something lies asleep on the LRT taking more than his fair share of seating space. Curse his benign sense of self worth and utter disregard-

Comments

Jigsaw said…
ME misses you Mucho Mucho :(

Popular Posts