Listening to:The Curse of Ka'zar, Lemon Jelly
Thinking of:

Anyway, I’m sat at a café with the best intentions of completing a review and then typing it out in the name of championing stakeholders.
However, all I can think of is how I spent a silly amount on a shirt. Yes, I like the shirt. No, I don’t need the shirt. But I bought it and am having no illusion that I’m justifying the purchase instead of

a. Alleviating world hunger
b. Giving a child the basic education that he/she needs
c. A gift for a loved one and making them hapy
d. Another couple of bucks into boosting a selective local economy (yes, as would have guessed it’s not a fine batik or something made in Malaysia… that, I’d have l’d have fewer issues with)

So, I’m guilty of being elitist and ostentatious… and trying to reason the purpose of the shirt.

“Art has no purpose but itself”

I’d wish it was art but that will be delusion. The least I can hope is hat it’s not made by poor children in a third world at “Fingers Bloody Cooperation”

In a far corner of my mind the thought of “Ah, it’s the store’s fault for not having a return policy”. But guess whose signature is on the sales receipt. Cest moi? Heck, even the sleeve length is being altered!


Hours later…

I’ve gotten over the shirt but I did think about something else. If you’re reading this, you’re probably in the comfort of being under a roof, in the office or about a hotspot where you’ve got a laptop open and surfing. Do think of the less fortunate and find a way to help them… it may be money or it may be time. Also, it’s also tax deductible.

Comments

Nil said…
Hey if we are not going to buy all the "branded" stuff ... imagine all the poor children who will not have work to do and no money :-P Ok, being serious, you are absolutely right that there is a lots of things to do like give money or time. To take it even further, one could also buy products that do not exploit the less fortunate community. Nevertheless, in US, there are some "less fortunate" that just want to remain such. Helping, donating, cgarity becomes subjective. For example, recently some people painted the side of the road as a charity event - I don't get that. Shouldn't the govt do that. Ok, enough musings.

Popular Posts