Listening to:
Thinking of:

At the cusp of firming up what the next 12 months are going to look like, I ponder back to the 4 years I called the start of my career... I believe the next 4 is where I should start coming to being, knowing which direction I would like to choose and it's time to start pursuing.

Unfortunately, with the next 4 years... I might be starting once more with 0 contacts in a potentially hostile environment. *breathe* Yet, I'm coming to a point where I'm quite keen to say... Bring on the next 4!

However, no matter the industry and discipline, the few things I've come to realize over the past 4 years by mistake or by intention are

1. Only People Matter
- Yes, we live in an environment where without money, nothing can function. I remember one of the first conversations I had upon joining the Company was that I sit in the office so the ones out there can get home. I've not forgotten that mantra and everytime I feel like being leniant, that single thought brings me back in line.
- Ideas... I loved working most when the boss calls in 2 or 3 people and in 2 sentences tell us the problem and at the end of it, the only request was shoot... Ideas in a small team.... The role of management at the end of the day really is to find, retain, organize others... if this isn't done, you're part of the problem.

2. No ego, No drama...
'nuff said

3. Credit, give it away
- On the same notion, being in a team and feeling wanted is incredibly vital. I've found my best work has come when I've not been completely left alone and expected to complete THE task, but when I got support from other disciplines and knowing that there is a common goal to be pursued... simple things like being asked for team buildings, shared bonuses... but alas, this happens so little it's shocking. So do note, the next time anyone becomes a boss, the littlest person also contributes what he/ she can and motivation and performance always go hand in hand. So far in the past 4 years, I've had projects snatched away at the cusp of completion only to have someone else reap the benefits, projects who are looking for scapegoats and projects who just look to gain all but leave you behind... Some projects encompass more than one of these, in fact all...

4. Loose leashes and running space
- I've been blessed to have been able to work with some incredibly gifted folks. The ones I see most benefiting from the same experience are the ones who are placed in a position slightly bigger than themselves and are allowed to run. One size doesn't fit all, but you get the idea. Forcing compliance does not encourage people to push boundaries of what is possible in their mind and their abilities are stiffled. There's alway a little room to grow... give them something and get them to run with it.. let's see how far

5. Awesome... it's walking along the cliff face.
- I remember when I was told I was to handle 2 contracts... without me having any prior experience, it was scary... but it was then when allowed to push so close to the time required and my ability that at the end of it, I felt most satisfied and in a way, circumnavigated the odds. Now that was awesome... if its comfortable, you know you're not pushing yourself

6. Networks... Build um' and keep um'
- More often than not being young and restless, we folk build networks quickly but never seem to keep up with them. Guilty as charged... people forget... people can't care less. My ex boss's words are true in this time. BUild your network but never forget to update and upkeep. You really never know when they might help you out in a spot.

7. Its all a bit of fun...

Comments

Popular Posts