coventrynasilemakandshibuya

Listening to:
Thinking of:

"I don't know how I'm perceived, you'll have to tell me..."

How many pre adolescent kids utter that phrase each day? Cliched as it is, I do believe it does hold some truth, to a different degree. I spoke with the new cultural officer today and the big bold news is that he's not even Malaysian, but better still... he's one from our colonial past, an Englishman. Jeepers you say... Frankly, I think its great!

By having a limited sight into the daily life of Malaysia, I believe that should politics spare him, it would be then possible to direct Malaysia Night into something we've all dreamed of, something Malaysian not for Malaysians. Something cultural while spared the peppering of inside jokes that's kept our VC asleep on the front row. Yet, what I found strange was his concepts were strangely vaguely familiar to that of experimental theater back in Malaysia. Lights, shadows, few props, use of fabric. Not minimalist, but hassle kept to the minimal. What about the extravagance of Malaysian plays, the culture, the song, the dances?!

"Calm down Sara, calm down..." (2001, Warwick Malaysia Night)

I'd say lets give the boy a hand, lets see what he can do. I truly believe this is the change of air we all need. The One? Probably not, but it'll be interesting to find out anyway.

Reference: Tokyo Girls- Style, The Times

The article may not be exactly true, after all... there is a Tokyo girl about 6 feet away from me. A story crafted and pieced together like minced pie from a recipe, it might taste good, its not made by the originals but heck, did I mention it might taste good?

"a country where radicalism and conservatism sit shoulder to shoulder..."

Lost in Translation, Gwen Stefanie, Tarantino... What do they have in common, Japan, Tokyo! Shibuya with its screaming neon lights (take that you townie punks, only 2 tubes on your set of wheels?!)and the serenity that I see portrayed by the flashing screen in front of me. For all its novelty "It may be the land of obsessive collectors of Paris Hilton memorabilia, surgically enhanced Audrey Hepburn lookalikes, prepubescent pop stars singing about heartbreak and green-tea KitKats" it can't be said that feminism has taken off in a big way (Please correct me, you know who you are)

The article goes on in length explaining the sights of Japan, the perceptions of Tokyo and the apparent behavior of people. It may not be correct, but it sure is interesting. Like human behavior, you might not see it that way if you were in it. By the way, I'm getting sleepy, the computer is running out of battery but I'm just plain lazy to go on in depth. So taraa...

Comments

Popular Posts