What I love about old Jazz recordings

Listening to:
Thinking of:

-written, 5 April-

As the title suggests, I love old jazz recordings. In fact, should budget permit I’d like (to my parents horror) a record player and a collection of vinyls (since they gave away the former and auctioned off the latter).

But anyway, from my digital copies… here’s an excerpt on my likings. I love it when they play at Birdland with the familiar voice “Ladies and gentleman, we have an exclusive performance by…” I love the sound of glasses clinking at the background as the piano rustles up a little tune and the quartet ease themselves into another set. People cheering, wolf whistles where the atmosphere presents itself in restraint, civilized excitement. I’ve had the privilege of being in Jazz bars when I can and the Royal Albert Hall for performances. In all occasions, nothing a studio recording can replicate… The aura of cool, the beat and offbeat that flows through your ears and manifests itself in the tapping of feat, the period between each set is like staring at another present. Even the grumpiest man/ woman will find movement in their limbs be it the tapping of fingers or to the sway of bodies.

Comments

Popular Posts