Chaos Theory

Listening to:
Thinking of:

Today is supposed to be my last day onboard the DB26 for this stint. Admittedly, I’m heading back early and it’s not ideal that I hand over on shore. Nevermind about that.

This time, like the last was that bit more interesting when you meet different people, with different jobs. I’ve learnt that asides from being the superintendent or the site rep, it doesn’t matter who you are, you’re always part of the crew. It pays not to think of oneself as the client, but as part of a unit wanting to move forward.

The barge is like a little colony in the midst of darkness and light from installations far away. You can see them, you know where the installations are… but you’re always separated by a body of water from them. More often than not, standing at the crane tower just looking out, I feel that is a fair representative of where I am at the moment.

The dynamic onboard is such that there’s frenzy when something goes wrong and that boredom would only mean that things are going alright. We make crude jokes; we learn about each other and exchange music. Discussion on world issues and items pertaining work, not to mention discussions on where to drink in Miri would crop up every now and again.

I don’t know if I want to leave the barge now when the people I know and get along with are still onboard. There’s an aura and perception of Miri that might apply to just yours truly, it’s all about work. The further the barge progresses, the further the lights seem to be, slowly in stormy days, those lights will fade and disappear.

Like the barge, I need a base

Comments

Nil said…
Chaos theory - some order in the chaos. Finding a base to me has never been about where I am physically or who I am with physically. It's always been about heart, feelings, emotions. I think you have a base . . . maybe you just haven't decided to settle at that base.

Popular Posts