Lately, I've been having a similar conversation multiple times, the resultant response being the same. What makes it possible to travel alone?

Quick Fact: I can't, or at least I've been perturbed by it at any time it's been raised so I rather not take the leap of faith of possibly spending several days of my life in a country where I can't speak the language and probably have no friends encompassing the whole of notion of dealing with loneliness while essentially taking a long walk.

Truth to be told, being alone in a place I'm familiar with is not an issue, armed with a book in hand and earphones, its a whole defensive "don't bother me" stance.

However,apparently its not too difficult and the idea of traveling alone is rather desirable among the folk working in the see ham hock.

Business travel is once again different as its always "there with a mission" and should all fail, there's always a nice glass of wine (usually, unless in really strange places) and work that inbox which never ceases to ease to attend to. Or, dinner with associates and then its back to the room for well deserved R&R, later its off to the airport and thats the end of business travel.

Chances are, when travelling alone in a strange country, the only book that I'll have in hand is the guide book and a map. With a camera slung snugly somewhere, it's obvious that soy el tourista... rob me please. I do find joy in walking without looking at maps, knowing where I go and how to move about or I can actually take time with the camera and do enjoy taking photos.

I did do a weekend alone in Prague and admittedly I didn't like it as much as when I went with people. Prague was a relatively easy choice, having been there before and rather familiar with places to go and things I wanted to do but didn't have the time. However on the flip side, Prague was also a wrong choice being that its usually easier to fend off the "you want marijuana or hashish!" dude or the one who keeps asking if I want nice lady, both presumably after asking if I'm Japanese or Korean.

Though, I think I might give it a go again sometime soon... we'll see, just something to force myself off the cliff once again, though I think this time I'll find a place where I can decently speak the language.

Comments

Popular Posts