Listening to: Rhapsody in Blue, George Gershwin
Thinking of:

As the clouds gather and the sky loses some light... I wait in anticipation. Yes, I love watching a storm... along with thunder and a bit of lightning. This is much to the contrary of my fuzzy buddy (my dog) who hates the sound of thunder and insists on hiding behind the garden shed.

I remember when I was younger and when I asked mom about what causes thunder, she told me that a giant man was moving furniture up the staircase and occasionally tripping over himself. Well, I was a gullible kid... But y'know it stories like that, that I remember.

But anyway, there is a certain mystic about falling rain on the window sill and the sound of thunder at a distance. I'm also pretty sure that most agree that sleeping seems more comfortable when it’s raining.

I remember in my 1st year in university, sitting on the ledge of my room window watching the rain, sometimes to the amusement of those passing by. Sometimes I'd drop whatever I'm doing when it rains and then just sit and think for a while or just watch people dashing to and fro and jumping into buildings avoiding the piercing cold drops during winter. No, I'm not sadistic... I promise. Of course, sometimes you hear people cursing the bloody English weather (I'm a great fan of such antics... that I can assure you) and it can get depressing. But in Malaysia... if I'm indoors... nothing beats a good storm, a blanket, a cup of tea and a big window for a view. Oh wait... good company would be most appreciated too. Speaking of good company, I remember when Barks was afraid of storms; I'd sit out in the porch with him... Him with a torn towel (no thanks to his insistence of biting it) and me... well, just as I am (usually wet from coaxing Barks to the porch). A couple of treats and a hug later... all is well with the 2 sillies... One furrier than the other.

I remember cycling in the rain too when I was slightly younger... It was heavy and each drop felt like a brick hitting the skin. Water would pierce my eyes and I'd be all drenched... But yet, its fun. Motorists would pass and think that I'd gone off my rucker, but heck... I still needed to cycle out of the forest and onto a main road before I head home, and so happens it was raining. But that was exhilirating. Sure, it made navigating a lot harder and I had to go a lot slower, but it was a challenge, not a hard one... but a challenge nonetheless.

Ah rain...

Comments

Popular Posts