At 30,000 feet

As I’m traversing oceans on a little plane, sat in the customary aisle seat allowing some shoulder room and a better view of the people around me, I’m heading towards work with a spreadsheet with a psychedelic array of colors and graphs telling me what I should be doing.

I started the last weekend at a rather bad place physically, emotionally and I think even psychologically. Some things people just don’t say.

I consider myself fortunate this time with the center seat unoccupied and a lot of space to deposit junk on. Just after morning service (of murtabak or nasi lemak), I find my counterpart on the other aisle seat whipping out a pen and drawing out little caricatures on the meal box. He seem to be a middle aged man and dressed for some kind of work, yet unlike yours truly doesn’t seemed too weighed down with an open spreadsheet. Yet, who knows what criss- crosses his mind at this present moment.

I suppose the past 3 days were much needed to soothe some form of fraying nerves. I suppose the need to call in for a 2 hour meeting, negating the desire of rest didn’t even throw me off.

-discipline-

As wet ink dries on paper, such is the realism of home ownership as a 20 something single person. It’s not the first but it’s sufficiently significant to fret about.

“It’s worrying that I’m betting this large and that all my eggs are in one basket”

“What if whatever I thought turned out to be wrong”


Anyway, regardless I’ve set goals for the next year or so. I’ve also got to set significant set of rules and the need for restraint for cash flow, at least for a while.

Talking to a significantly more mature friend

“Somehow you younger folk seem to thrive and want instant gratification, you build a home, not just move in with a suitcase to a suite of designer crafted furniture, lest you be so fortunate…”


-colors-

Tying the above and the below

“Why do you need a fancy gadget to remind you of things, I still use a trusty notebook and it’s never failed”

“But won’t you have to fire it up and we all know how slow the silly notebook is, don’t get me started on outlook”

“Notebook! As in paper and a pen, you young people…”


Perusing through aisles, I’ve never understood as to why the stationary suppliers can never obtain ring bound notebooks for use.

Anyway, I’ve been spoilt by good paper. No, I don’t require a Moleskin, which is overkill for whatever I do. For sketching out diagrams and writing down things to pay attention to. However, a little notebook of which a pen can be clipped on and a hardy cover is most appreciated. After all, the past 3 have been to various places in the world and contain lots of writing from the binding and torn pages of notes for whoever that so requires it.

A good ring bound notebook has to be sturdy enough so that paper doesn’t come undone after several clips of pen onto the ring.

The color has to be suitable, non-threatening yet as personal inclination… have some form of personality attached to it.

I settled on a cream paper, textured brown hard cover, black elastic band, yellow highlighted first and last sheet and an oversized ring to clip on silly pens of which I lose a dozen per year. Oh, and of all things I found this quite amusing… it’s German.

Books Previously Used
1.Red plastic cover with ruled paper, highlighted with 4 different colors at the edge of paper (sort of an indication of total usage)
2.As above, only with squared paper (both from Singapore)
3.Black textured, undersized ring (dismay, dismay), date assorted white paper
4.Brown card cover, enclosed ring in a folder arrangement with a cardboard pocket, deemed environmentally friendly brown paper.
5.As described in the silly set of paragraphs (and environmentally friendly paper, whatever that means)

-fin-

Just to tie everything up and how every rant in this post is connected, that I’m worried of something, so I work and find myself laden with caffeine and easily distracted. What I’m worried about is that if I’m wrong over buying a place. Bought a notebook instead of a fancy organizer because I’m feeling guilty over splurging on a place. It’s silly I know, but I’d be lying if I mention I understand the workings of my silly monkey head. Yet this brief change of scene is just like Novocain to the soul and I hope doctor, I don’t need a second infusion of it just yet.

Comments

Popular Posts