You've Got Mail!




Not in the very distant past a few of us were sat in a coffee shop having a chat about well, what makes boys, boys and what makes girls, girls which ended up in all the mushy bits in between *shudder*

Caught in between the lines and chaos of "No, No... he blah blah blah" or "I did blah blah blah" was one sentence which glistened and as such ensnared in memory.

"We'd write" he said simply
"Once letter week, and we'd save up whatever little we have over the week for a 15 minute phone call"

I've probably written, spoken or attest to correspondence somewhere that letter writing is indeed an earnest act of meaning. One possibly lost in many respects.

More often than not, I get an earful of "The days before mobile phones" and "when there was no e-mail" of days when social networking was called a gregarious get together with drink in hand.

Perhaps I'm not one who could and should make this comparison, though I corresponded from the age of 12 and continued writing to the ripe age of 23, somehow I feel those correspondence were longer than that we send electronically. I've lost count on the number of e-mails (intermediary) or facebook messages of which I've only used

"Hey how are you doing? Where are you these days?"

Can I for one actually expect somewhat a decent answer with silly sentences like that?

Yet I find myself entrenched in more information than ever. Google reader is usually fruitful with something to read of someone who writes. I don't tweet as frankly, 140 characters is just way too short in my minority opinion. Facebook updates are quick snippets of existence across the oceans and there's always the cellphone.

Strange that almost none of that information ever gets one excited. I remember a friend of whom I've corresponded with for years, I still keep every single letter and appreciate greatly the items which are enclosed in them. Doubt that you'll be reading this but there are some items that still serve as bookmarks, dated 1992 and intricately hand made with lots of care.

Great men through history have written letters, some of camaraderie, some of war and better still some with amorous intent. The thrill of eloquence, articulation and literal cadence. Perhaps like conversation, will try writing letters someday, to someone.

So here's to the one who mentioned "We'd write." Please do... cause I think appreciation on the receiving end is usually worth the distance across several ponds.

Comments

Popular Posts