Listening to:Camera One, Josh Joplin Band
Thinking of:

It was expected that in the aftermath of the London bombings, bloggers around the globe would take to the subject in hordes like a herd of doggone wildebeests in the Savannah. As for me, I thought what the heck... lets just join in the herd and develop the Lemming mentality.

Well, not only am I in the country and an hour away but so many familiar faces and friends live, work and study in London most of them around the areas affected. The possibility of a bombing of the London transport system was anticipated since the September 11th incident and I suppose with stringent audits and scenarios drawn out, it has to be said emergency services responded in superb fashion.

Enough has been said about the bombing, its perpetrators, death toll and whatever. Most papers around the globe have over sensationalised the story and though death is tragic and the act, barbaric... there is a sense of "English-ness" in the general public's reaction to this act of terror. If it were to occur in New York, or even worse... Kuala Lumpur, the sense of panic will ring through the city for days and weeks, even months. Yet, within hours the need to continue on with daily routines and lives prevailed in the capital.

"All I want to do is go to the Queen concert, don't know how to get there now... oh well, I'll figure out later"

"When Blair spoke, it was quiet and then conversation continued"

"I'm alright mate, how's Warwick?"

Some say that the city's been hardened by years of IRA bomb threats but I think its the innate British-ness that drives the city. I also personally think that the constant horrible weather drives people to cope with depression... Well, sort of. But that's just me... :P In an almost nonchalant manner, life does go on.

Here's hoping that most if not all the people you know in London are safe.

Comments

Popular Posts