Listening to:
Thinking of:

Just today, I stumbled across the origin of the word "love" and in almost satorical unromantic style comes from a adaptation of the French term for egg.."l'oeuf" which in a way, used to denote the concept of zero, nothing as more commonly used in sports as "love". That said, please don't quote me on it as probably I would've gotten it terribly wrong as I do most of the time.

ANYWAY!

Call me a skeptic. It's one of those words used these days to load language, an overused term, a worn out cliche'd recording. It's habitat consist mostly of sappy love songs, politics and bad soap operas. Oh, lets not forget everyday life of the rest of civilization. Impassioned arguments, the emphasis of rheotoric in speeches, articles and rants. As in toys Dialectic and logic may be sold seperately

Over the years, love has been used a lot as a means of emotional blackmail. Used in the most opportune moment, hopefully whilst not in a regular state of mind. It's been used in the context of refering to yours truly as being emotionally retarded.

"I sometimes feel like I'm teaching love as a second language to you people"

I'm not a sucker for the whole concept of baseless love, yet not entirely logical at the same time.

Back to the sports analogy where 0 is noted as "love". No one really knows if this is a reference to ‘playing for love’, but certainly when you do ’something for love’, it means you are not charging anything (time or money) for it. Perhaps even giving something of yourself to the cause. I can see how one can love a philosophy, or a book, or some film or other, but I feel loving a person has a terribly different dynamic. After all, one hardly ever gets anything for nothing. Please oh you who are in love... please tell me this difference for my indifference.

"I love you..."

Three words in it's independant sense, would be a mutual exchange for desire and an expression for the dependency for dependency's sake. Just because... But of course, most of the time this applies to people who are insufferably, sickly and ovewhelmed by this concept of love.

Where I feel the concept begins to stutter is when additional clauses are added onto the base 3 words or when expectation is also added to the tail of the sentence. I believe what it then becomes is emotional bullying. I'm not talking just about pairs... politicians, parents and children...

“I love you, don’t you?”

“If you loved your country, you’d…”

"If you love me, you'd buy..."



I think I’ve only ever used it once or twice when fairly sober, and I know my usage of it was laden with meaning beyond doing something for nothing. Both times I felt this definite sense of “I need you”. The first time it was reciprocated easily, and over time as the relationship broke down, the word became increasingly laden with shit, for lack of a better word.

How much of it meant anything is definitely suspect. But don't judge me for it... It works both ways. I'm skeptical on the times anything of this sort has been said... I'm probably skeptical on other explanations someone else may offer. After all, I'm retarded in that sense.

Perhaps I am too annoyingly sceptical about life.



I think I ought to rewrite or reword this post, it's a little too rough around the edges

Comments

squid said…
"Kalau angin tidak bertiup, masakan pokok akan bergoyang"..?

Is Mr. Skeptic IN love?

oo... juicy news!!
kC said…
Hah, not a chance...
I think skeptic is a bit too harsh a word... but I can't think at the moment for another. It is after all 6-ish in the morning and am late for the morning run.
kC said…
maybe pessimist would be a better word in context
squid said…
drats, how disappointing.

i was just about to take out a piping hot stash of caramel popcorn...

c'mon, don't be a pessimist just yet.. you might bump into someone while running...!!

*in dire need to have some interesting new juicy stories happening to friends while my dull monochromatic life chugs on....

Popular Posts