Listening to:
Thinking of:

Just a minute ago, I was torn between writing about the obsession sportsmen and women with their equipment (sporting equipment that is, whatever the sport) or the crazies that roam the campus.

I've decided to go with the sports... or I'll just end up talking about myself again.

Playing badminton today, I realized how players of all ages and ability would take pride in the racquets, shoes and heck, bags that they use. So Mr. Cheapo Joe's might boast of his 110 pound Probex 2000 or something like that, but then the question arises if Cheapo is as good as his Probex racquet which supposedly increases power by some sort of funny construction. In the mortal words of a dear friend, "Ah well, sometimes power can be a great substitute for technique."

Anyway, this trend isn't just within the badminton court, footballers would compare shoes and shin guards, some even socks. Cyclists on the other hand I believe have a more valid reason (besides comparing the pink and orange lycra cycling jerseys or cycling shorts, tight but not quite sexy). I remember the cycling buddies I had would be happy parading their Flack new fangled carbon frame with some funny feature that makes riding a heck of a lot easier or the new deraileur that he HAD to buy. I suppose, its pretty much up to the person. However, once again... we come back to the point, does the equipment really define the way you ride or play? I supposed yes, I did play better with the expensive 110 pound racquet as compared to the El Cheapo minus 7000 which had strings the tension of loose cable and a frame the weight of an elephant. But only thats because one is the cream and the other, well... I have to say, is plain sh*t.

I personally am not discounted from this issue altogether, admittedly when I purchased my primary mountain bike, I wanted to get the best I could... I mean with a 15 year old's yearly savings, there is no way you can get that funky carbon frame with titanium meshing with top of the line components along with that oh so cool front suspension fork (loads of street cred there). But I had my bike for a couple of years and true, some parts have changed, only because of wear and tear and a couple of accidents. I still lust after a good racer and a couple of bits and bobs, but y'know... I know they'd be way too good for me and my performance wouldn't warrant the thousands spent on it... (The frame itself is only 1.2kg, imagine that)

Somehow, the more I think looking at the sports I play... Volleyball is the only one that people don't seem to lust after much new stuff, except that cool ball which doesn't hurt.

Think I should have talked about crazies...

Comments

Popular Posts