Listening to: Just Tonight, Jimmy Eat World
Thinking of:

It's strange how we keep hurting the ones closest to us. I do wonder in the sense of closeness, do we tend to exude a sense of vulnerability to the other side and then in a moment of clumsiness, or in the heat of the moment, maybe (I've been told it happens, in the throws of passion) someone utters a careless word or a random statement that would cut and bruise the emotions, thoughts and feelings of the party though we're locked in conversational death grip, of whom we truly care about.

Trying to comprehend the whole idea, I wondered if the frailty and inconsistency of our character added with the fallibility which comes from our human nature actually play a large part in this sort of falling out. Needless to say that most of the time, one party or maybe even both would be thrown into the pit of guilt and need to be helped out. The strong ones would naturally apologize, but with that nature... I tend to wonder if the apologies were actually meant, instead of being a natural impulse. Well, there you go... Human nature at it again.

On the other hand, in an almost Freudian like manner, how we feel the need to be defensive during moments of vulnerability comes almost like a shadow in the night, the unconscious need to exert a greater sense of control over our partner or some other being may contribute to the behavioral change. However, while fearing the lash back, we tend to control it to a certain extent and hint towards our aggressive nature. I tried relating this issue with the Freudian concept of how a male child would always try to exert control over his mother in both a non-sexual and sexual manner only to be thwarted in fear of the force and control placed by the "uber" male, the father. So yeah... I don't know.

However, another simple probability is that one is stressed and the other just either a) doesn't know about it and steps on the toes (ouch)
b) Blames it on stress and continues babbling without even taking into concern the reactions of the opposite partner.
c) Something is going on, but in defense, one becomes defensive...

I know that I've been all those situations before both on the offending side and the receiving one... Some actually coexist with others together at any given period. I'd like to always say that I'm just human after all and am prone to failure. On the other hand, I can't really make excuses up for the offences I blatantly execute without a care in the world. On the other hand, sometimes I'd like to hide under the bed and wish that someone would just find me to offer a reassuring presence without the mention of any words, especially hurtful ones.
I suppose we're both tired of something and need a source of relief and on the mad rush out the door, we trampled on our toes, ending up walking out that door feeling bruised.

Comments

Popular Posts