Falling off the pedestal onto a spinning top

Listening to: It's going down, X-ecutioners
Thoughts at the moment: "I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.", Thomas Jefferson

It doesn't help that my desk is facing my Managing Director's office... Since he threw that little birthday party of his, I can't help to think at the age of 39, he's managed such success. This is a man with an absolutely charming smile that deceives anyone that speaks to him for the first time. With true German ways yet with a hint of Asian attitude (he's had durians... what else can I say?). I recall the first time I spoke to him, it was all nonchelant and easy going over lunch (dad was with me). My first impression was "Sure, another one of those engineering turned management types." That was until he and dad started talking about business and projects worth a whole lot more than I can count. The way of which he speaks is that of masked control, a sense of overwhelming confidence (doesn't help that he's got a big voice). Well, he realised later that I was kinda out of the conversation (I mean which intern applicant would be thinking of a hostile takeover at the first meeting anyway?), he switched back to another topic which is less intimidating to an average 20 year old. The topic was irrelevant but the theme remained the same... When you can't move forward because of others who are slow, look inwards and improve yourself to further to better the heights of which you stand. From all the stories I've heard from dad about him, suddenly the puzzle falls into place. I would personally dread to work with him because the standards get higher and higher as the stakes continue to increase as well. Yet, I want to be him... Is it any wonder why he's seated at that post at 39. Alright, so one can justify that the parent company in Germany sent him around to a little place called Kuala Lumpur to take care of one of their small offices in the Asian continent and he's not all that in Hamburg... perhaps, but the tenancity scares me...

Now on to something a wee bit more juveneille! I had a great weekend... To be honest, I was hardly at home. Saturday was something of a blur to me as it passed by with great speed... I was out alone at Bukit Bintang as I needed to get a couple of things, check out my darned camera and then to do whatever I wanted to do without anyone holding me back. Quick in, quick out... Well, not really quick... but its cool. A couple of hours later I was out with a couple of school friends... the combination of a decent meal and a couple hours of conversation is never a bad thing. Throw in a classy setting... its just great.

There are still so many people I've not caught up with and I've only got a couple of weeks left. I've realised how much I've compromised with friends this entire year. Suddenly, I've become an alien in the company of those I thought I knew. Ah well, I change, people change... thats just the way it is. How long can one's life stay in parallel with another?

Comments

Popular Posts