Listening to: Stand inside your love, Smashing Pumpkins
Thinking of: Red, Amber, Green... Go, Go, Go!

I've got 10 minutes left before I'm about to start working, so I thought... Hmm... why not write a little.

Most would know I'm impartial towards the society back home in Malaysia, mostly with a certain "I can't care less" attitude. There was a point in time when I did think that the country was doomed in terms of the people and manpower and old societial values. Somehow I felt less secure than what was advertised on television that we're a happy multiracial bunch whose only expression are big smiles. Somehow I felt that even in the trains and busses even in queues someone would be overbearing and rude against me... I began to wonder, is it because of my skin colour, of being the minority. DOn't get me wrong, in school, in uni and most of the time I get along well with anyone from different races and nationalities and admittedly, I find it more of a pleasure to work with people from different backgrounds (think the MSA commi. for example, loved being in it if not for the darned Union)... I don't believe in the stereotypes society has placed upon races and I do believe that each person is different shaped by choice. I do wish for a "Bangsa Malaysia" and not segregation.

However all that said, I remember really distinctly one incident that put a smile on my face for days. I was in a crowded train heading back from a day out in town (think the car was being serviced or something like that). An elderly Chinese man was offered a seat by a Malay girl. This elderly gentleman clearly grateful, struck a little conversation with her. After she left, a little Indian boy with his grandfather (who was seated in the next seat) was peering curiously at whatever was going on in the train... The Chinese gentleman later smiled a big smile at the duo and then started an exchange of silly faces and laughs from the trio even though all 3 had limited knowledge of a common language (be it Malay or English). An encounter by 3 different races in a harmonious accord. Now to hope that the rest of Malaysia will learn from these 4 good stewards of the nation.

This is such a contrast from the times when you're told not to go somewhere for the reason that "Its filled with "other people"" I wonder though, why does society put a value on skin colour. Maybe I should look up Yael for this, as she's doing something on racism as a large part of her year's work in university. Expiriences of racism does shape my views and I do find it hard not to be racist myself towards the race that has looked down on me, just because of my skin colour. Be it in University or anywhere to begin with. Yet, in part... I've been shown kindness in so many ways from the same people, be it from my countrymen or those I've met in the UK. I think my response though against my nature ought to be what is examplified the following Proverb.

"21 If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat;
if he is thirsty, give him water to drink.
22 In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head,
and the LORD will reward you"
Proverbs 25:21- 22

Also, well... I do apologise should I have opened a can of worms with this entry. This are just my views and do not represnet any views the general public may have. In my defence, its a positive message... ;)

Oh also, did you know... Coventry is supposed to be the city of Peace and Reconciliation? So there you have it people, go spread the Love.

Comments

Popular Posts